Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Balancing Act.

Proverbs 10 is the start of several chapters of “Buts” leaving no problem in adding the “Ifs” for a balancing act in our lives. There is no doubt that finding balance requires prudent living, and in my check in the dictionary I find that prudent means the avoidance of rashness, being careful of consequences, taking the politic course and having an eye to the future. Discretion and being circumspect are necessary virtues we need to develop.

The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception. Proverbs 14:8. Fools are widely mentioned in the same chapters and under different guises

Trying to balance my day, rather unsuccessfully I might add, I came across some notes from another day of imbalance, and pondered them afresh.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of distractions, and come to the end of a day without having achieved the goals that were set. This is not just activity related, but in so many peripheral areas of our lives. Perhaps the reason for so many people being weakened, and lacking faith is that balance has been disturbed. The appearance of Spiritual strength can easily mask emotional depletion, while emotional strength can hide spiritual weakness.

While physical strength can lead many to mighty works, the danger can be that faith in God suffers against faith in self, and looking to the strengths and weaknesses of others can hinder in recognising our own.

There are two traps into which it is easy to fall. The “introvert” measuring himself by impossible standards can easily be led to a lack of understanding that we are “in Christ”, not “in self”, while a steadfast reliance on Christ can lead one to the assumption that “He will do it all” so self-reliance or participation is unnecessary.

How easy to look at another’s failures in order to condone our own, or rest in another’s strengths or achievements and think we cannot add to them.

 Even in our study lives, the Old and New Testaments are meant to complement and confirm each other so that an all-round understanding can be achieved. Unless commissioned to study a specific subject, or theme, it is unwise to stick to one field of study, for our minds must be challenged on different fronts. There was an old covenant and there is a new covenant. Which one do we adhere to? There were Old Testament heroes. There are New Testament heroes. Who are the most important to emulate?

The Lord has given us minds that can absorb knowledge, but He also wants us to exercise our brains in thoughtfulness – using our imagination to expand our knowledge. Parables and stories that Jesus told were used to illustrate fact by using often fictional characters or actions. In other instances He used what many may presume to be fiction, in a factual way. One example is the story of Jonah, by many thought to be fiction, but spoken of by Jesus as fact. It is the story that leads me to consider not whether it is possible for a man to survive 3 days and nights in the belly of a great fish, but whether I, in my disobedience, deserve a like fate. In other words, how much of Jonah is in me?

I need to find that balance in my life that helps me live according to the wisdom I find in the Word of God, according to the strength given by Jesus Christ, (In my weakness He is strong) and in the sure and certain knowledge that He who has begun a good work in me will continue it to the day of completion in Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6. In every aspect of my life I need to ask for wisdom. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5. This in order that I do not become unstable in all I do.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:48b. We have been given much, which brings more responsibility to us! We have knowledge of fulfilled prophecies which should make our sense of responsibility more vivid; our awareness of grace received more vibrant, and our desire to grow in Him more intense.

Who am I that He should love me? I am nothing, but in Him I become a strength and power to be reckoned with, and able to challenge the enemy to defensive action!

Perhaps my plans were not fulfilled, but my day was in the Lord’s control, and He has every right to interrupt my plans and impose His own. If I failed to balance my activities according to my hopes, it was then because He had other work for me to do, and His work has eternal value. Do not be dismayed when you feel weak and helpless against what is going on around you.

So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish. Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all.

For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:10-13.

Who can come to the end of a day, and feel unfulfilled with such a God beside us?
Finding Balance in the Lord is my constant goal, and He will supply the wisdom I need through His Word.

No comments: