Monday, May 16, 2011

God Speaks Peace.

My peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:25-27

I had prayed, “Please, Lord, give me words of peace today.”

I was feeling the normal stress of things to do, but not knowing when and how etc. Distractions, demands and expectations, all were crowding to be met. I needed a haven of rest, and what better place than in the Word of God. Sometimes a gap for such rest is only a few moments, but the Word can be relied on to give direction, encouragement, hope, and no less so on this day. I was refreshed and able to move on, but later was reminded of the refreshment I had received, and decided I must look more closely at the ways in which the Lord ministers in difficult times.

What do we have to do to get past the sticky patches without getting stuck in the mire? Conversely how do we get past the stickiness of circumstance and exchange it for the stickiness of our close relationship with the Lord?

From the Light of the Word: Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You.

My mind fixed in Him, the Light continued to shine! Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you: He will never let the righteous fall.(Psalm 55:22)

Only one problem – can I call myself righteous? I have already been irritated and impatient. Then I am reminded, I am clothed in His righteousness. Isaiah 12:2 I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation.

Why, oh why do I stress so much? Why do I open the way for pressures and tribulations, when Matthew 8:26 tells me, Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

In quietness and strength, grace and peace, the day flowed. How wonderful is our God. I had asked for words, but He gave encouragement as well as peace, and now, a phone call from a dear friend and prayer partner, with more words from Isaiah to crown this day.

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations. (Isaiah 61:10,11)

This is my God! Even before I have finished asking, He is answering! He is my refuge and strength. Peace, perfect peace, prevails.

A good 4 point practice to remember when stress strikes is the simple ABC+ for peace.

A.    Acknowledge your need. He understands, and knows that we can’t keep on an even keel on our own. We need to be reminded of our rock and anchor, before we get swept away in busyness.

B.     Believe that He is able to meet your needs. Be still before Him and give Him the chance to whisper into your heart. Be aware of His Presence, even if it is not tangible; you can speak to Him for He is closer than the air you breathe. His Spirit is in you.

C.     Consider that truth. The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners. The very words of Christ about Himself, to us in our longing and need. What more can we ask when we are captive to poverty and darkness in our spirit, but for His Spirit to shine in us and set us free?
Declare His greatness! That works wonders and is an added Diamond in the crown He is preparing for us.

No comments: