Friday, October 7, 2011

What is a Shiggaion? An impassioned plea!.

When I read Psalm 7 earlier this week, I did not realise that the train of thought begun by the introduction of the psalm would become so meaningful.
The word shiggaion is used at the start of the Psalm, and it intrigued me, but only after a series of events challenging me to prayer, did I again look for the meaning.
The Psalm is described as a Shiggaion of David, which he sang to the Lord concerning the slanderous words of Cush, a Benjamite.
In Habbakuk 3:1 we read, A prayer of the prophet Habbakuk; according to Shigionoth. In verse 2, Habbakuk goes on to say, Lord, I have heard the report about you. Lord, I fear your work. In the course of the years, renew it. In the course of the years reveal it. In all this chaos remember to be merciful.
Yes, in the course of the years all will be revealed, and God will emerge triumphant in the lives of all concerned. Meantime, chaos erupted with a phone call from a daughter, “Mom, please pray.” In a foreign country, with language an additional problem, a grandson was being victimised, and slanderous comments were being made. This is doubly depressing when a child is involved, and his faith is being challenged. “I don’t feel like reading my Bible,” he said, “or talking to God. He doesn’t seem to be listening.” This from an 11year old. As adults we know how easily a comment or action can be misunderstood, but a child expects fairness in authority, and is doubly disappointed when such is not given. It makes me think seriously of Matthew 18:6,7!
With David, we can pray a paraphrased version of his words. O Lord my God, we have taken refuge in you. Save me and rescue me from all who are pursuing me. Psalm 7:1. Knowing that we have the victory in Christ we can proclaim I will give thanks to the Lord for His righteousness. I will make music to praise the name of the Lord most high. Psalm 7:17
Our prayers come as a shiggaion, which is an impassioned plea, or a lyrical poem composed under strong mental emotion; a dithyrambic ode. (A usually short poem in an inspired wild irregular strain : a statement or writing in an exalted or enthusiastic vein)
Much writing has gone back and forth within the family and between countries since the original reading of the Psalm, and many questions have been raised about the abilities of teachers who fail to recognise potentially dangerous repercussions from ill-considered perceptions and pronouncements to a child in their care. But our God is faithful, and he brings wisdom to the situation in His perfect ways.

For my child I pray that he will grow in wisdom and that this temporary setback will teach him wisdom and perseverance. May he know the strength of prayer and the shiggionoth (plural) of our impassioned pleas.
Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path smooth. Proverbs 3:5,6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!!! I have asked this son of yours how he feels about facing the community after this terribly false accusation! .... His reply: "Mom, I don't care, I know I did not do it. I don't know if someone is talking behind my back but I don't think so. My friends are on my side and I know you and dad are too"!..... Mother of this 11year old boy was left speechless....this 11 year old boy of hers is not a "jelly fish" without guts or backbone! He is a son of the KING of KINGS!!! .... Mothers! NEVER stop asking your mothers who stands firm in the LORD to "PLEASE PRAY"!!!! .... my nose burn, my eyes still full of tears and I have a feeling in my heart that I cant explain in words. Could this be a shattered heart? God answered all our prayers, HE opened someones heart for discussion, we met somewhere in private and this person took me to a church named after Jesus's birth country. The Holy Spirit was present all the time!! This man gave more than 3 hours of his personal time to read and listen. Jesus is alive!!! Alive for evermore!!! I have hope again! Still very emotional but so relieved! Thank you mother of mine for the praying,editing,loving,encouraging,supporting plus all the other "ings" and most of all SHIGGAIONING!! Love you so very much..... to everyone that does not know detail but prayed regardless, dont ever stop! Our son's name and our family name in the community is not well spoken of at the moment but in Heaven angels rejoice. Blessings to you all! Ephesians 6!

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.

my web site ... gas golf carts for sale illinois

Anonymous said...

For hottest news you have to visit internet and on the web I found this site as
a best web site for hottest updates.

My web-site Foofara.com

Anonymous said...

electronic cigarette, e cigarette health, electronic cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, ecigarette, electronic cigarettes