Friday, May 6, 2011

A Mother’s Day Quote

I was having a rare clean-out. My office is known as a disaster area where wearing a blindfold or stilettos would not be wise. As a Mom I am not always popular as I have been known to forget birthdays, and amongst the chaos of my room are boxes and files galore “waiting for attention.” One fair sized trunk holds photos and various memorabilia relating to schooldays, holidays, work related documents and possible trimmings intended to be one day included in a Scrapbook. With wonderful children and grandchildren I am aware of all my shortcomings and that they deserve better. They are stuck with me though and hopefully they will learn from my mistakes and do a better job that I did. I am glad that I was a Mom of young children in the days when being a housewife was the norm, although of necessity that didn’t last as long as I would have liked. Today’s Moms though have less chance, and the majority of Moms have to juggle housework, school functions and work in an attempt to have the best of all worlds.
Today I found in my chaos a document I didn’t know I had, but with Mother’s Day approaching my interest was piqued. A poem, written by Georgia Kneppereth prompted me to see if I could find out more about her. As I suspected she is of my vintage, a Mom of my era, and what a difference between her words and what would probably be written today.

What is a Mother?
Georgia Kneppreth.

How do mothers
Spend their days?
In Oh so many
Different ways.

They’re tie-er-uppers
And dryers of tears,
Holders of hands
And calmers of fears.

They’re sewers and knitters,
Sweepers and cooks;
And when it’s nap-time
They’re readers of books.

They’re chauffeurs and umpires,
Directors of plays,
And swimming instructors
On hot summer days.

They’re pushers of swings
And pullers of sleds...
They’re crooners of lullabies
When time comes for bed.

They are answerers of questions
That are asked by the score,
And inventors of games
When little ones stay indoors.

They’re climbers of trees
To retrieve little boys,
Untanglers of fishing lines
And menders of toys...

And so to each mother
Special credit is due,
For in all the world
There’s only one ... quite like you!
I feel quite nostalgic, with memories of knitting toys and jerseys, fishing with my boys, swabbing bloodied knees and cheering on at sports days. Where did the years go? Will the teaching remain?
My son, keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep they will watch over you; when you awake they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp; this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are a way to life. Proverbs 6:20-23
The last chapter of Isaiah speaks strongly of judgment and hope, anger and anticipation, trouble and glory, with a fraction of verse in the middle which is especially significant, not only to Jerusalem, but to us today.
As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you. Isaiah 66:13a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - I too have areas that are swamped with papers and paraphernalia - I try to ignore them as long as I can!! And by the way we do love yo for just who you are!!