Saturday, September 24, 2011

Abandoned? Or Redeemed!

How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in Him should ponder them. Everything He does reveals His glory and majesty. His righteousness never fails. Psalm 111:2,3. (LB)

Why, then, do people fall away? How can anyone who has known His grace, set it aside and choose their own will against His? Is it because they have not recognised His grace, but choose instead to see it as refusal to bow to their will?

I continue in my musings on the apostate compared with the apostle. An apostate is one who abandons a belief or principle, and in Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians he addresses this matter in chapter 5 when he writes of “anyone who calls himself a brother”. By this he appears to accept that once having called on the Name of the Lord, and therefore having expressed allegiance, but having since fallen back into sin, that person may still call himself a brother, but is not to be accepted in the fellowship. I see hope in this in that the Lord does not abandon His children, but estrangement must occur within the church family until repentance brings the brother back into the fold.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you. 1 Corinthians 5:12,13. (NIV) Hard words indeed, which are difficult to swallow when on the receiving end of such judgment, and prone to feel persecuted and unloved. Yet the main reasons for such judgment appear to be clear and uncompromising.  But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 1 Cor 5:11.

In conversation with people who have suffered this indignity, it is difficult for them to see the need for strict observance of God’s law, and it is easy for them to say, “Well, if that is how the church feels, then I will have nothing more to do with them.”  And so begins the need for a special ministry in helping a lost sheep back into the fold.

Many years ago I was excommunicated from the Anglican Church, and told I could no longer take communion, or serve as lay preacher, because I was considering re-marriage after divorce. In their eyes, my sin was not divorce but the prospect of adultery. Fortunately, because of my strengthened relationship with the Lord, and through Godly counsel, I was not permanently damaged spiritually, and I recognise that God’s grace is sufficient, and His forgiveness complete. He knows my innermost heart, and ministers to me daily by His Word and constant love. But what of those whose need is a fresh perception and deeper understanding of His Agape love?

As I continued my thoughts on Apostasy, and why people turn away from their God, I was challenged by the thoughts of broken relationships within the family. How can God’s Word be applied in the worldly situations of break down in family relationships, when estrangement seems unsurmountable? Sing praises to God and to His Name! Sing loud praises to Him who rides the clouds. His Name is the Lord – rejoice in His presence! Father to the fatherless, defender of widows – this is God whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families; He sets the prisoners free and gives them joy. But for rebels there is only famine and distress. Psalm 68:4-6

I was a rebellious teen, a rebellious wife, and a rebellious parent, wanting things to work out my way, but the Lord has shown His faithfulness. I try not to rebel anymore, for who wants famine and distress? Living in Joy is a great privilege and one I do not want to lose! I have learnt, like Evelyn Christensen, to say, “Lord, please change me” as there was no way I could change anyone else.  I must accommodate their differences. God has said “No” to me many times, and I have learnt to say, “Not my will, but Yours, Lord.” I don’t ask for changes in anyone else anymore. I have asked for patience, a dangerous request, but the Lord as ever is gracious. He gives lots of opportunities to learn it.

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love isn’t jealous. It doesn’t sing its own praises. It isn’t arrogant. It isn’t rude. It doesn’t think about itself. It isn’t irritable. It doesn’t keep track of wrongs. It isn’t happy when injustice is done, but it is happy with the truth. Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up. Love never comes to an end. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (God’s Word)

Speaking from first hand experience I have learned that my constant prayer must be “Equip me, Lord, for I am weak.”
The glory of the young is their strength; the grey hair of experience is the splendour of the old. Proverbs 20:29 Therein lies hope!

No comments: