Friday, September 30, 2011

Where in the World is Bougainville?

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God….

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world. 1 Corinthians 1:18,20

I started this morning with a comparison between looking at the world through secular eyes, via Webster’s Universal World facts, a recent addition to my library, and Operation World, a prayer resource.

Being blessed with a couple of editions of Writer’s Forum, courtesy of a friend returning from a holiday in England, the September edition contained the free Webster’s so it was with anticipation that I looked through it for ideas. Looking to Operation World for the countries designated for today, I found, at the tail end of various pages about Papua New Guinea, a place I confess was unknown to me, Bougainville. With an interesting history of political struggle and instability in a fight for independence, the challenges for prayer were numerous. Problems between the Papua New Guinea government and the islanders in their desire for independence, as well as an ongoing unsteadiness of the economy, majority sub-standard income being from subsistence farming, made me realise how volatile is the existence of small communities or countries.  Together with Buka, a sister island, Bougainville is culturally and geographically a part of the Solomon Islands, but politically a part of PNG.

In Webster’s mention of this same place, all I learnt was that it is the easternmost island belonging to Papua New Guinea and that it is a part of, though politically separate from the Solomon Islands.

Where are my thought taking me, you may ask. Well, it is the difference between worldly understanding and Spiritual understanding. The information from Webster’s gives no encouragement for further thought, and the world shows little concern. But the knowledge of spiritual paucity, material poverty, and political insecurity from Operation World has my thoughts and prayers focussed on specific needs, and a desire for God’s good and perfect will to be made known to the Melanesian and Polynesian peoples of this 9,300 square acre blob in the South Pacific. I didn’t know about them but God does! They don’t know about the people who use Operation World as a prayer guide, and will be praying for them today, but God does. Before I can make myself out to be better than I am, I must say that Operation World is not a regular, but more of a sporadic tool, so I am no great intercessor, but Christ is!
Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers. Luke 22:31. This is a  verse that has been an encouragement through the years. The people of Bougainville have great spiritual needs. There is little evangelical presence, and revival is needed in the church. Genuine faith in Christ is called for, and Jesus Himself is praying for them, just as He prays in intercession for you and me.  It is good to be reminded of small places, as well as the other mighty needs of the world, and to know the God who is in control.

No comments: