Thursday, January 5, 2012

Farewell, Faithful Friend

A dear friend has gone to be with the Lord, which brings me to a new learning curve! More than 10 years ago she asked me to be her executor, so I now have a list of “things to do” although circumstances have changed since those days, and many instructions are no longer major issues. Conversely, there are many things that must be added, so my thinking cap must be firmly in place.
One thing though, has remained constant through the 20+ years of our friendship, and that is her love for the Lord, Jesus Christ. Many times we have prayed together for the saving grace of the Lord to be poured out on her loved ones. Some years ago, when her sister died, there was much pain and anguish to be worked through, as her sister had refused to even discuss faith in Christ, preferring only to believe in her own ideas.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. (Proverbs 16:25 NIV) was discussed often, and how to share the Truth we know through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, was a constant theme. My friend’s surviving son disappeared from her life, but her prayers for him continued. The request for her favourite hymns to be sung will be a continuation of her heart’s desire to proclaim God’s love to those who remain in this life.
Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
This hymn, was reportedly the favourite of Eric Liddell, the 1924 Olympic athlete who refused to run on a Sunday, (see the film, Chariots of Fire) and later became a missionary in China.
“How Great Thou Art” was her other favourite, and it has been interesting to me to read the several versions and original verses by the Swedish born Carl Gustav Boberg (August 16, 1859 – January 17, 1940) later translated into many languages, most notably by Stuart K. Hine (1949 version) who was greatly influenced by Charles Spurgeon.
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!
AMEN!

No comments: