Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Problem With Prayer Time.

Prayer seems to be the most difficult discipline for most people I speak to. Friends D and M have just given me a copy of Stormie Omartian’s book, A Personal Prayer Walk to Spiritual Well-Being. Perhaps they knew I was battling!
Daily reading of the Bible is sometimes problem enough, and prayer times become brief, relegated to snatches of opportunity, or when the phone rings with a PP request. “Please Pray” must be responded to, but what of personal well-being? Here is my dilemma! Why do I find prayer difficult, and my spiritual well-being hampered by feelings of guilt, “if only’s”, or “when we’s”?
My first blessing reminder came with Isaiah 58:11. The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in draught, and strengthen your bones. You shall be like a well watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
When I am busy, and in conversation with Him, He understands. When I set aside moments, He knows it is because I value His guidance, and is quick to respond. When I doubt His Presence His Word can remind me, for He will guide me continually, that is non-stop, whether I recognise it or not. And if I stray, he will be there to redirect, Isaiah 30:21 assures me – Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “The is the way, walk in it” whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.
Why do we stress? Is it because we fail to feed on His Word, the Bible? Sustenance for every aspect of our lives can be found within its pages. Encouragement for prayer is given particularly in the Psalms, a portion of which I read every day.
We are made to worship, and give our God praise.
Let everything alive give praises to the Lord! You praise Him! Hallelujah! Psalm150:6 (TLB)
That’s prayer!

No comments: