Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Your Word is a Lamp to my Feet and a Light for my Path. Psalm 119:105

Your Word is a Lamp to my Feet and a Light for my Path. Psalm 119:105
I was reading Psalm 119 today and am, as always, challenged by its length and breadth. As the longest psalm, in its original text utilising every letter of the Hebrew alphabet, it brings out so many truths and lessons on which to ponder that I am considering doing with it as I have done with Proverbs this month, sharing a little each day. I am sure that much help, hope and comfort can be drawn from it.
While I love sharing the Word of God with those of like mind, loving and wanting to live by it, it is also my heart’s hope that others who may be searching for help may stumble across it and be encouraged. The first three verses show graphically what can only be consolidated by experience.
 1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
   who walk according to the law of the LORD.
2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes
   and seek him with all their heart—
3 they do no wrong
   but follow his ways.
None of us are perfect, and wholly blameless, but living in the Light of God’s Word brings us closer, because we are giving God the opportunity to work in us, making us more of what He wants us to be. He loves us as we are, sinners, weak and wilful, wanting our own way and self comfort. He watches us as we strive in our own strength to achieve success as we see it, and I think He smiles, just as we do watching the antics of our children. We watch them get up to mischief, sometimes having to punish them when the mischief gets out of hand, but as they grow in knowledge and understanding, we proudly acknowledge the characteristics that please us.
Living honest and true lives is not easy – avoiding compromise in the work place, or condoning sin by looking the other way, can cause difficulties -  but this psalm says it’s worth it, and brings blessings. Yes, it may also bring problems, because a life that pushes against the stream takes effort. It is tiring, taxing and troublesome, for standing out in a crowd makes you the focus of attention and confrontation, but it also builds a strength gained from exertion. Remember that a butterfly dies if it is not left to fight its own way out of the chrysalis.
Some years ago, in the workplace of the time, a blasphemous verse kept appearing on the office notice board, and as overseer, I kept removing it. The person who placed it there complained bitterly about my lack of humour, and demanded that I should not be allowed to impose my dogmatic ideas on others. Fortunately, the one higher in the chain of authority was also a Christian, and the offending literature was permanently removed, while I became the scapegoat. There were times when prayer and the support of friends were all that kept me going, but God was gracious. The “cheerleader” of the opposition received promotion, to a position similar to mine! A taste of the troubles involved in being the head of a department brought requests for advice, and eventually we became great friends. That is the power of prayer!
Use it! And receive the blessings of a life lived under the directions of the Word.

No comments: