Friday, February 11, 2011

Like an Olive Tree

Perhaps it is the writer’s desire to grab the reader’s attention with the first sentence that prompted the statement causing a horror reaction.
“Beyond broken glasses, broken teeth, and no wheels,” I said on the phone, “we are fine.” How it sounded did not occur to me, but a major disaster it was not. Major inconveniences, yes, and problematic solutions, yes. I am so glad we can call for answers in the right place, so when my listener had combed down his hair and was breathing comfortably again, I could go on with the story.
The glasses were due for replacement, so their breaking was an incentive to make an appointment and a temporary answer was found. The teeth must have been weakened at the stainless steel connection, one side with the other, so beyond an unexpected couple of jabs from a mushy meal of pasta, I am happy that they can be sorted. And the wheels? Well, that is a longer story.
Driving comfortably along there was a sudden and horrendous clicking, clacking and grating noise, bringing us to a complete standstill, and the necessity to call a breakdown truck with flat bed and hoist to get us home. Long story short – it will also necessitate a reliable replacement, and hence major money juggling. Praise the Lord it happened where and when it did, for if it had been in the middle of heavy traffic in the city centre, - I don’t want to even think of that!
Only the first reaction was a little wobbly, but we are fine now, thanks!
I was reminded, after I had flipped a little, of Romans 7:18 Nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh, and Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is more deceitful than anything else, and is desperately sick; who can understand it.
When we hit rock bottom in ourselves and realise we have failed again, lost our cool, allowed patience to depart, or given in to hasty words, a temper tantrum, or sheer stubbornness, it is time to take stock, and settle accounts. I realise every day the importance of our choices, and in the past couple of days I made some wrong ones. The Serenity Prayer was much needed, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
I also looked again at the poem of Maya Angelou,
When I say “I am a Christian” I don’t speak of this with pride. I’m confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.
When I say “I am a Christian” I’m not trying to be strong. I’m professing that I’m weak and need His strength to carry on.
I am reminded that my initial shock and doubt was unfounded. Jehoveh Jireh, our provider, has not failed us before, and will not fail us now. We are asking His guidance in decisions that must be made, and so glad that He, not us, is in control.
But I am like an Olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.
I will praise You forever for what You have done; in Your Name I will hope, for Your Name is good. I will praise You in the presence of your saints. Psalm 52:8,9
In His Hands, - there is no better place to be.

No comments: