Monday, February 28, 2011

Making the Most Important Thing the Most Important.2.

You must be Born Again.
Would you believe it? Only a few weeks after my beach experience, I was asked if I was born again, and I didn’t understand the question! After I had been assured that God had heard my prayer for salvation, and that I was safe, I thought that being born again was some way-out cultish expression, and no way was I going to be pulled into anything weird. “I,” I stated boldly, “am a Christian, but not born again.”  As the young woman who had asked was a business associate whom I had considered to be a good Christian, I was disappointed that she had obviously been misled into something weird, but not considering myself expert enough to argue, I merely said goodbye, and wondered about the strange, almost dumbfounded look she gave me. Some people are so “in your face” holy, I thought. The Lord doesn’t expect that of me. I can just get on with life now, knowing that He is watching over me.
A short time later, in my daily reading of the Bible, a newly acquired habit, I read John 3:3 and at last I understood. I was born again! How could I have attended Sunday School, been confirmed, worked for 20 plus years in a responsible job, attended church sporadically, and yet had never heard the most important lesson that everyone needs to learn.
I tell you the truth; no-one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.
I had not been taught. I had not listened when the Lord was calling me by name. The only sermon I could really remember was one about doubt. Now I had no doubt. I was assured. Day by day the Lord was leading. Day by day He adds knowledge and understanding.
“Fear not!” He said. Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1b
I can’t tell you the date and time, but I am born again. Are you?

No comments: