Monday, February 21, 2011

Why I Believe the Bible is True.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness --- 2 Timothy 3:16 NIV
As a child I suppose I was insufferable. I always wanted to know, but unfortunately what I thought I knew was not always based on intelligent, well founded knowledge of facts. Take the time some of us very young kids were discussing a popular subject – where do babies come from? How are they made?
Authoritatively and in all innocence I proclaimed, “Well, there has to be a mummy and a daddy in the same bed, and while they are asleep something happens.”
Yes, I had a lot to learn, but innate curiosity had given me fractional knowledge, by hearsay and jumping to conclusions. It is just so with the Bible. I knew about it, and from hearsay thought I knew some of its lessons and stories, but my reading had been cursory, with no real desire for deeper understanding. Although I would have classified myself as a Christian as against heathen, or pagan, on any form requiring such information, I had no depth. Even when the school teacher said that no matter what kind of reading we enjoyed, we would find in the Bible love, adventure, murder, I tried, but did not have the incentive to persevere.
When I made a full commitment to the Lord, then the Bible became more readable, but I had to learn how to gain insight, absorb knowledge, experience fresh understanding and receive instructions for righteous living. At first I used a devotional, which gave me some idea of how someone else had received a passage. I started to have a Quiet time, when I could concentrate, and pray about what I was reading. The King James Version I found difficult; poetic and familiar, yes, but not as easily readable as the one the church was using at that time, the Good News. This I used for my first complete reading through project. It took a while, but has been followed through the years by the NIV, NAS, NLT, Amplified, and others, to the absolute conclusion that indeed The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realise what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. 2 Timothy 3:16 The Living Bible.
Many people today find it is much easier to deny the truth of the Bible, than have to live by its principles. It is a basic “sin” thing, for the thought of having to give up what makes life exciting and interesting is not an inducement to making a commitment to a Righteous God whom you would rather not know. If He is going to disrupt your life, rather leave Him alone, is the prevailing thought.
How well do you know your spouse? Your children? Your parents? Your friends? How did you get to know them? Was it by spending time with them? Did you have a desire to know them intimately, in order to grow closer and understand them better?
Do you know God, and if so, how would you describe Him? Only the Bible can give us some idea. Having spent a couple of days in research, I encourage you to check out for yourself, as there is much material to confirm the validity and historicity of the Bible. The best research is to prayerfully read for yourself the Truth. Learn of the prophecies that have been fulfilled, and that give us understanding of what is yet to be.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions. Proverbs 18:2. Let us not be fools, but wise and remember that It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way. Proverbs 19:2. NIV
He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers. Proverbs 19:8 NIV
There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another – showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us. The Message. 2 Timothy 3:15-17
(If you have doubts and may risk a gamble, look up Pascal’s wager on Internet!)

No comments: