Saturday, December 4, 2010

Do Not Be Discouraged!

We have all been there. We feel down-hearted, discouraged. Maybe it was fuelled by disappointment, or failure; perhaps criticism, or general depression due to circumstances creeps in, but - DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED!  There is an emergency number you can use, a direct line to God, a guaranteed response, and it is waiting for you yesterday! Well, that's what I remembered today!
Before they call I will answer. While they are still speaking I will hear. Isaiah 65:24
I had asked the Lord for a word of encouragement, and then forgotten I had asked, but continued with the daily doings of life as a retiree. Yet today, unexpectedly, I received a word of encouragement, and remembered that the Lord had addressed a certain issue a few days ago by telling me to "Be still, and know that I am God."
I had been writing in a journal and using it to put my thoughts in order - sometimes a difficult procedure, and I quote - They are too numerous to name, and to single out a few would be unfair, even judgmental, but they are the ones who have a great need to recognise their need.
They are on a journey, but it seems they have climbed on a vehicle without looking at the destination.
I have a route plan I want them to read; a map that can guide them, but they refuse to look. They are content to continue on their mystery tour.
At every cross-roads, I want to point them to the way less travelled, but they choose the highway, the broad road, instead of the narrow, more beautiful one. They will watch a rainbow, and visualise the mythical pot of gold at its end without looking to its beginning.
I had continued in prayer, but as so often happens distractions had buffeted the day, and the subject was not pursued further except in my mind. And I wondered, Lord, what can I do? He is the only one who can unstop ears, and make blind eyes see.
This morning, after my word of encouragement, I remembered another occasion, some years ago. We were on a Christian Retreat, under the ministry of Pastor Fred McCoy. He challenged us not to sleep before reading something new in the Bible and memorising it, and my verse that night was Jeremiah 33:3 Call on me, and I will answer you, and tell you great and mysterious things you have not known.
Take courage, for this is our God. He knows our needs before we ask. He answers our prayers, but not always in our sight! Or even in our understanding. He tells us great and mysterious things when we least expect it, and assures us of His loving presence when we trust in Him.
I love the Lord because He hears my voice, my pleas for mercy.
I will call on Him as long as I live because He turns His ear toward me. (Psalm 116:1-2)
I will continue to air my thoughts and views on the waves of cyberspace, and trust the Lord that someone will be encouraged in the reading of them, by my relationship with Him.
Come, glorify the Lord with me, Let us exalt His Name together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Elaine, Yes the Lord is good and He hears our prayers and He knows our thoughts!
This week as been particularly hard for me and I have been seeking the Lord in prayer. I know He will answer because He is a God who always meet our needs, no matter how undeserving we are.
God Bless
Charles