Friday, December 31, 2010

Ebenezer

 
1 Samuel 7:12 Then Samuel took a stone ….. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far has the Lord helped us.”
We come to the end of a year, the old has gone, - and the new has come. Can we look back and see where the Lord has carried us?
Deuteronomy 1:31 quotes Moses, who, having brought the Israelites out of Egypt, again had to deal with their rebellion, doubts and fears.  He tells them, “You saw how the Lord carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”
 I love the concept we read of in Exodus 19:4, and Deuteronomy 32:11-12, when we read that God carries us like an eagle, that stirs up its nest, and hovers over its young, that spreads its wings to catch them and carries them on its pinions. Have you ever watched an eagle with its young? We watched a TV programme some time ago, when the photographer managed to catch some great footage of the young fledglings being cast out of the nest, with the mother swooping to help her babies.
Yes, the Lord has carried us through this past year, and He knows what lies ahead. We can trust Him with the New Year, for nothing that surprises us will surprise Him! For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end. (Psalm 48:14)
If this God is not your god, then He should be sought after, and trusted, for Every word of God proves true. He defends all who come to Him for protection. (Proverbs30:5)
I am so glad He watches over me. I did a stupid thing this afternoon. I had to give my husband medication, which is strong stuff, and for a difficult problem. I went to fetch him a glass of water, poured the water, and mindlessly swallowed his pill myself. As it hit my throat in the swallow I realised what I had done - too late! I had to phone around, News Years Day, most places closed, but fortunately not hospitals and all the pharmacies, and all praise to the Lord, friends who also know Him!  I am fine, feeling a little woozy, but fine. Thus far has the Lord helped me!
And now, a blessing I received, I pass on in the love of the Lord.
May the peace of Christ enfold you;
May the love of Christ possess you;
May the Spirit of Christ direct you;
May the joy of Christ be in you;
May the hope of Christ inspire you.
May you know His presence in your heart, your affairs and your home
In all the year of our Lord 2011 ahead. 

No comments: