Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not shamed, but chastened.

Writing a blog has become a whole new responsibility, and an exercise of exploration. As an undisciplined diarist, a keen journal keeper, and an obsessive note taker, this is a revealing of thoughts for friends and strangers alike with an almost narcissistic look at myself from fresh angles.
There are so many things to write about; so many memories that come to mind, so much extraneous material that pushes my thought mechanism into overdrive, that blog becomes bog, and I sit before the lap-top not knowing where to start. The writer’s block syndrome kicks in, and I am again reminded Be Still and Know …
I had forgotten one of my favourite verses, one that has for so long challenged me and one that must be paramount in my writing now. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)
I was frantically putting together a testimony, including far too many extraneous details, and jumping from one angle to another, achieving no solidarity. The Lord is so gracious when He gives us insights that we can hold close, and apply to our circumstances.  He knows us so well, and so often has to hold us back from our mindless enthusiasm to rush ahead, when His gentle instruction is to wait. Sometimes we want to stride ahead of Him, and add more than He actually wants to give us. So now I return to my key passage of this morning’s reading, Ephesians 5:17 Understand what the Lord’s will is.
The thoughts He gave may be shared another time, but for now, having sought the Lord, and being chastened, though not too severely, my face is not covered with shame, and I am blessed as I take refuge in Him. (Psalm 34:4-8 and Psalm 118:18) May my writing bring Him honour and praise. My soul will boast in the Lord, let the afflicted hear and rejoice. (Psalm 34:2)

As we approach the New Year, may we all be open to God's guidance in our lives, His leading in our thoughts and actions, and may His good and perfect will be done so we may be radiant as we look to Him.

No comments: