Thursday, December 16, 2010

Light on Christmas.

Why is there controversy, even amongst Christians, as to whether or not, or when, Christmas should be celebrated? So what if we don’t know the exact date? Personally, I want to celebrate the birth of my Saviour and the date  that was on record as a Nativity celebration as far back as 336, is good enough for me.
One of the earliest feasts celebrated by the Christian Church was Epiphany, which was related to the visit of the Magi to Bethlehem, and this was held on the 6th January. The early church seem to have grouped the celebration of Christ’s birth with this feast until, somewhere between 170 and 236 the date of 25th December  was settled upon as an alternative, perhaps affiliated with a pagan feast to the Sun god. I am happy to celebrate Christmas as a remembrance of the coming of the Son of God. He is the Word, He is the Light of the world.
The most important factor is that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son ….
Jesus Christ was willing to leave His heavenly position to come into our sphere, experience our emotions, temptations, dangers, even to the extent of a violent death  - for our sakes. Over that straw packed manger holding the tiny form of a newborn baby, hovered the shadow of a cross.
Yes, I have every reason to celebrate His birth, - He came for me. I was once in darkness, but now I am light in the Lord. (Ephesians 5:8)
Who is this One whose birth I celebrate?
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.  And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and the firstborn  from among the dead, so that in everything He might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven , by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross. (Colossians 1:15-20)
Yes, the cross awaits Him, but for now, we celebrate His birth. My heart sings the Hallelujah Chorus, and the Lord hears it in tune! For I was made to praise Him!
Come, glorify the Lord with me.

No comments: