Thursday, December 2, 2010

Anointed!

I praise my Lord for people like Samuel Bagster, who, with his wife, Eunice, raised 12 children in the Christian Faith. Jonathan, their 10th child, took their concept of  daily corporate worship, and developed it into the devotional which I and many others use; Daily Light on the Daily Path. So many times it challenges my moods, kick-starts my day, and gives me a word direct from the Lord like an arrow into my heart of worship.
Today didn't start too well. Do you know the feeling? I am sure I am not alone in sometimes wanting to start over, grab a hold of patience, embrace love, reach out in goodness and kindness, sow peace, and reap joy overflowing. Time though, is a thief of such desires.
I have spoken before about a problem I have  with procrastination. Well, another is resentment, and if things aren't quite right it is amazing the things I can resent. Today I even resented my two cats who moved in lock stock and barrel. In their innocence, they were blissfully unaware of their being my target this morning, but as one ex-feral and the other a domestic cat from next door who decided she prefers here to there, they both feel that once I have entered the kitchen in the morning, they should be fed IMMEDIATELY! One thing after another, including the Breadmaker signalling its desire to be relieved of its contents forthwith, ye trusty serf who needed the keys for the car which was crying out for a clean, inside and out, and he who is the head of the home, with no urgency attached to his day, needing coffee and newspaper, I felt the old enemy growing stronger. OK, I had gone back to sleep instead of getting up when I should have, but I particularly resent being at fault, especially when such great plans for the day are placed at risk, so it was with a heartfelt cry that I eventually got to The Word. "Lord," I asked, "please give me a special word to strengthen me today, and keep me mindful of my dependence on You. Teach me and guide me through this pressure, and thank-you that You care."
Daily Light brightened my whole attitude. 1 John 2:20 The Holy One has anointed you, so (all of) you have knowledge. V27 The anointing you received from Christ lives in you. You don't need anyone to teach you something else. Instead, Christ's anointing teaches you about everything ---- So live in Christ as He taught you to do. (God's Word to the Nations version) John 14:26 reminded me that the Counselor, the Holy Spirit would teach me all things and keep me mindful of all I need to remember, and then, Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness ............  Equipped to go into the rest of my day, I was further blessed by the reminder from Psalm 9 verse 9 that the Lord is a shelter for the oppressed and a refuge in times of trouble. My troubles were over, my day was properly under way, my plans were submitted to my Highest Authority, who blessed them into achievement.
How does anyone survive without the Lord's strength?
Psalm 34:4-6 I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor (wo)man called, and the Lord heard her ....
Is it any wonder I love this Psalm?
Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt His Name together.

No comments: