Monday, November 29, 2010

Am I an atheist?

The saga continues. Yesterdays morning’s message in church was so pertinent to what I was saying in my previous blog, and our key verse was 1 John 4:16 as Pastor continued to expand on What is God like?
A letter in this morning's local rag spoke of “the creation myths that are a feature of folklore all over the world.” The writer went on to say how astonished he is that 2 out of 5 people in the US, and almost as many in Britain, believe that humans did not evolve from animals, and that all life was created within the last 10 000 years. I am pleased he has the capacity to be astonished, but I wonder at his idea that while we are all free to believe what we want to, he battles because so many of us are unable to separate truth from fantasy!
I have the same problem!
As a keen sportsman, our Pastor spoke of the opportunities he has when, sooner or later, someone will ask, “What do you do for a living?”
He is always pleased to have the opportunity to say that he pastors a wonderful family in a great church, and he was not fazed when one guy truculently responded with, “Well, I am an atheist, so I don’t believe in God.” The fellow seemed a little taken aback when asked with great interest if he could describe the god he didn’t believe in, but he rallied, and gave a good description that left our Pastor wondering if he was also an atheist, as he didn’t believe in that god either.
When I consider my God, and all His attributes, I cannot understand how I went so long without full commitment to Him. I believed, yes, but I had not taken the time or made the effort to know Him more personally. Going to Him and saying, “Lord, I believe, but please help my unbelief. Teach me more - ” started an exciting journey, and every step on it thrills me, excites me, and makes me want more.
If some people consider the Bible to be fiction, and merely written by men, it certainly has done well to survive for so long, to teach so much, to be the foundation of morals, ethics and legalities, and to give so much food for thought, discussion, argument and love.
One of my favourite passages in the Bible, which is my road map, is the prayer in Ephesians 3:14 - 20. And some of those aspects of the key verse yesterday, God is Love, - the most used, and most misunderstood aspect of God, - were brought out yesterday from verse 18.
My God loves with a love that is wide enough to include everyone, (Psalm 145:17) even though not everyone accepts it.
His love is long enough to last forever, (Jeremiah 31:3), unlike human love which can wear out. He even perseveres with me.
 His love is high enough to be everywhere, (Romans 8:39) and deep enough (Psalm 18:16) to meet my every need. Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.
The four dimensions of the Cross, the ultimate demonstration of God’s Love. How can we live without Him? I certainly can’t, and knowing Him has so enriched my life that doubt and fear were crucified with Christ. Faith, Hope, Peace, Assurance and Love have replaced them.

In His Love, Greetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Elaine!!