Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Haunting Head

From Paul To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ - their Lord and ours.
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:2,3
I settled down late to "take 5" with my readings and a cup of coffee. It was a hectic day, spent mostly in the Resource Centre with data processing etc. I don't quite know the why's and the how's but I ended up with a book in my hands, "St Paul's Corinth," and it looks fascinating. It is definitely for further reading but meanwhile it has sparked an interest to be followed up on.
In the front is a picture that is already haunting me, and I suspect it will continue to do so. It is of a bronze sculpture, a head, dated around 80BC. It could be the head of a man you would pass in the street, and perhaps wonder about. What grips my mind is his expression. It is an expression one sees on many faces today, and shows a lack of peace and a desire for answers. His brow is furrowed - you can almost hear him ask, "Can you, will you, help me?"
His eyes are unhappy, focussed on some distant plane that he cannot understand, but his thoughts show in the quirk of his eyebrows in that position of query that doubts an answer will be forthcoming. His cheeks are slack, and his mouth closed in insecurity, without confidence and in an uncertain pout of no hope.
The head is so lifelike, and so familiar, with so much reflected in its metallic sheen, I want to say, "Come! Listen to me, and I will give you hope."
It was found on the Greek island of Delos, which I read was first populated about 3000 BC. Its population has varied between 30,000 and, according to a census in 2001, 14!
As one of the most important archeaological sites in Greece with its historical and mythological connotations, (said to be the birth place of the Greek gods Apollo and Artemis) it is worth further investigation. It certainly opens up some of the reasons that Paul had such a heart for the people of Corinth, confused as they were with so many pagan teachings from their Greek roots and the Roman empire.
Conflicting stories abound today in our modern, technological world, and people are just as confused. Where? And How will Truth be found and recognised?

Blessings,
Elaine

No comments: