Monday, November 8, 2010

Listen!

Listen, as wisdom calls out! Hear as understanding raises her voice! She stands on the hilltop and at the crossroads. At the entrance to the city, at the city gates, she cries aloud, "I call to you, to all of you! I am raising my voice to all people. How naive you are! Let me give you common sense. O foolish ones, let me give you understanding. Listen to me! For I have excellent things to tell you. Everything I say is right, for I speak the truth and hate every kind of deception. My advice is wholesome and good. There is nothing crooked or twisted in it. My words are plain to anyone with understanding, clear to those who want to learn.
Yes, my Proverbs reading to day is Proverbs 8. I had a friend visiting for lunch when we spoke without realising it on this very subject, - how people need to seek knowledge for themselves, and then the need for wisdom was brought home to us in a graphic way.
We had opened the gate for L to leave when there was a sudden crackling and crash as the electric cable across the road from us suddenly shorted and hit the ground. Fortunately nothing was in its path, but due to lack of maintenance, which should include trimming the trees, which in a heavy wind were making contact, there was damage which could have been dangerous. It was in fact dangerous, although the electricity department took some convincing. Meantime, after initially reporting the incident, D stood watch to prevent anyone touching the live wires, now laying on the road. Children climbing off a taxi which didn't want to stop where D directed it, a little further on, were quite rebellious when he said they should walk carefully away from the curb. One boy out of sheer obstinacy was about to walk towards the cable without realising the danger. With my active imagination I could see all the connotations of someone without wisdom, and refusing to listen to wholesome advice meet an untimely end. I think the forcefulness of D's shout almost blew him back, and he scurried away oblivious of how close he had been to failing to reach his home.
I wish I could tell him about real wisdom.
Happy are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and wins approval from the Lord. But those who miss me have injured themselves. All who hate me love death.
I was reading from the New Living Bible, and it seemed so apt. Incidentally, D stood in the hot sun for one and a half hours waiting for the Electricity people to arrive, so he has a bit of a sunburn even though I took him a hat, and water, but as he said, if he hadn't been there, those children would have probably been curious, but not wise! There were quite a lot of them, as it was school leaving time.
Psalm 34:11 Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

Enjoy the Blessings of the Lord.

No comments: