Friday, November 5, 2010

Blind – But Wanting to See?

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, … Ephesians 1:18


As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the road side begging. When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by”.
He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Those who led the way rebuked him, and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to Him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”
“Lord, I want to see”, he replied.
Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight. Your faith has healed you”.
Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God.
When all the people saw it, they also praised God. (Luke 18:35-43)

Blind Bartimaus called when Jesus was nearby. If he had waited until He came again, he would never have had a chance! Jesus did not pass that way again!
2 Corinthians 5:7 says, “For we walk by faith, not sight”.
From Mark 10:46. we learn the identity of the blind man. He was Bartimaeus, son of Timaeus, and at this stage he was quite complacent about his lot in life. He was blind, and had come to terms with it. He was used to being blind, and others who could see were responsible for his care. There was no need for him to do anything but shake his tin at them, and out of their plenty, they would give, grateful that they had their sight. Pity abounded, but not enough to move them out of their comfort zone. “Give him a penny or two, poor soul; he’s not used to much, and will be content with whatever he gets.
We read of a similar situation in John 9:1-7 when a man born blind was the subject of conversation between Jesus and His disciples.
Many years ago, I remember a minister speaking of the first split in the body of believers. Two men were standing by the side of a road. There was great excitement because the miracle worker, Jesus of Nazareth, was to pass that way.
One man said to the other, “I can’t wait to see Jesus. I was blind, but now I see. He gave me my sight.”
The other man replied, “What a coincidence. I too was blind, but now I see. He gave me sight, and I follow Him whenever I have the chance to see Him again.”
The first man asked, “Did you have to travel to the Pool of Siloam also?”
Puzzled, the second man said, “Why would I have to do that? I told Him I wanted to see, and I did. Immediately.”
“But He spat on the ground and made mud to put on my eyes, and then I had to go to the Pool of Siloam to wash it off. Only then could I see.”
“Perhaps he wanted to teach you something else, then,” was the second man’s reply. “I saw immediately. He didn’t even touch me. I was shouting out to Him, and He asked me what I wanted Him to do. I said I wanted my sight. And He gave it.”
“Strange. I wonder why? I didn’t even expect to ever see, but He called me, and then sent me. I was so privileged because He actually knew me, and my family.”
So were birthed the first two denominations - The "Mudites" and the Anti-mudites."
Bartimaus had a change of heart when he heard about the miracle working Jesus,  just as many who do not know Him, respond when they see in others something that sets them apart. They want to know the secret. In John 9:39, Jesus said, For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."
He went on to answer the self-righteous and learned Pharisees with the words of verse 41. If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.
We all need to examine the Truth for ourselves. Jesus says today, as ever, I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No-one comes to the Father but by me.
Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.
Be blessed today.


No comments: